Search This Blog

Thursday, January 23, 2020

10 Cook/ The late 1920's

I was wrong, I do have one more photo from the young Dick, Bill and Jean Cook.  I am hoping someone can help me solve the mystery of where this was taken and who the other children in the photo might be.  I will just guess it is from a time Frieda got together with her sisters and their children.  So, one could be Gertrude's son James who was born in 1914.  Nelle's children weren't born until the 1930's so not any of them.   The other two could have been a mix of her brothers sons.  However, they could also be from the Cook side.  Maud and Eugene had two boys born in 1913(Donald) & 1915(Bernard).   Frank had a stepson with Edith, named Bill, born in 1914.  The ages seem right for the three of them.  However, Frank also had a stepdaughter, Evelyn Marie born in 1916 and she isn't in this photo.  I am guessing Jean is 2 or 3 in this photo so it would have been taken in 1927 or 1928.  Anyone know who and where?
Dick, Bill and Jean on left side1
Jean went on a trip with her mom and her grandmother to visit her grandmother's brother and family in October of 1926.

The Belle Plaine Union, page 5,
October 14,19262
Next is a big shake up for the family, Bernard got a promotion and they are moving.  This one confused me because I thought they lived in Boone until my dad (Dick) graduated from high school.  I was hoping the records from the Railroad would help me out with this problem.  They gave me no information about where he was working.  I did get information about his pay.  The record's I received don't begin until 1937.

 He made the front page of the paper!
The Belle Plaine Union, page 1,
November 26, 19263
Next is further proof that they did live in Pekin, Illinois at this time. Frieda and all three children spent the week visiting in Belle Plaine. Bernard stayed in Pekin to work for the week and joined them for the weekend.
The Belle Plaine Union page 4,
March 31, 19274
They returned again in the summer to visit, I was thinking this could have been when the beach shot was taken but from the buildings in the background I think it was taken in a larger city.
The Belle Plaine Union page 6,
July 7, 19275
One more article from the 1920"s.  Bernard got another promotion.  This time they returned to Boone.
The Belle Plaine Union page 4,
October 18, 19286
The part about the promotion is near the top but skip down and you can see Bill and Jean went to Belle Plaine during the transition.  I am guessing Dick was in school and maybe they wanted to get him enrolled as soon as possible in his new school.

The 1920's were a busy time for this family, three children, and a couple of big moves.  Through it all it seems they were well grounded with their family connections.  I have even more documented visits from newspaper articles.  

Happy Discoveries to you from one Ancestral Explorer to another,
Janet

Sources:
1 Family Photo Album

2.  'The Belle Plaine Union' published Belle Plaine, Iowa; Digital Archives of Belle Plaine Community Library 
         page 5, October 14, 1926.

3.   'The Belle Plaine Union' published Belle Plaine, Iowa; Digital Archives of Belle Plaine Community Library 
         page 1, November 26, 1926.

4.   'The Belle Plaine Union' published Belle Plaine, Iowa; Digital Archives of Belle Plaine Community Library 
         page 4, March 31, 1927.

5.   'The Belle Plaine Union' published Belle Plaine, Iowa; Digital Archives of Belle Plaine Community Library 
         page 6, July 7, 1927.

6.   'The Belle Plaine Union' published Belle Plaine, Iowa; Digital Archives of Belle Plaine Community Library 
         page 4, October 18, 1928.

No comments:

Post a Comment