Search This Blog

Sunday, February 23, 2020

12 Hartje/ News from Canadian marriage

We got mail!  So excited!  The marriage certificate I sent for from Canada arrived today!  This certificate is for Alfred and Bertha, my husband's grandparents.  The two skipped across the border to Gretna, Manitoba to get married on February 2, 1928.  They were married in the Lutheran parsonage of St ????? Church.  I can't quite read this and so far googling Lutheran churches in Gretna, Manitoba in 1928 hasn't produced any results.

marriage record
This clip also shows the names of the two witnesses.  One is Peter's sister Adeline Hartje from Crystal, North Dakota.  The other looks like Phillip Rea????.  I'm guessing he was a friend but I am not even sure I am getting the first name correct.  He was from St Thomas, North Dakota.

Here is the entire certificate.  It really does include a lot of information.

Marriage of Alfred Hartje and Bertha Abraham
February 2, 1928
Gretna, Manitoba1
I'll enlarge it a third at a time so it's easier to read.  Here is the top third.  Alfred was a farmer, a bachelor, 23 years old, from Crystal, North Dakota, USA and a Lutheran.  His father was Peter Hartje and he was also a farmer.  His mother was Emilie Lenz.


Alfred Hartje

This next section is about Bertha Abraham.  She did not have a profession, and was considered a spinster at the old age of 19!  She was from Hensel, North Dakota, USA.  Bertha was Lutheran.  Her father Theodor Abraham was a farmer and her mother was Emma Soinmer.  I am not sure about the spelling of her mothers last name, I have seen it several different ways.  I have found a Summer family that could be hers, the dates and places fit just not sure of the last name yet.  I have also seen it spelled Somer.  I think she was married to someone with the last name Kittner or Kettner before she married Theodor so I am finding many conflicting names for Emma.  Still have some research to do.

Bertha Abraham
The final third includes the date, the parsonage, the witnesses and the name of the pastor.  The pastor was a Lutheran minister named F. Ewald.
Date, church, pastor and witnesses
Happy Discoveries to you from one Ancestral Explorer to another,
Janet

Sources:

1'Alfred Hartje and Bertha Abraham' marriage certificate from Vital Statistics, Manitoba, Province of Manitoba; 
           M.L. No. F. 28588.

No comments:

Post a Comment