Search This Blog

Monday, February 17, 2020

11 Hartje/ Harvey Laverne Hartje Marriage

Harvey left the Navy in 1946.  I am not sure what he did for the first couple of years.  In 1948 he married Elizabeth Noreen Thorfinnson.  The following are from a Grandmother Remembers book1 that Noreen filled out in the later 1980's.

Grandmother Remembers book
filled out by Noreen Timian @ 1987
Here are enlarged photos of the sections she filled out in the book.  The first is the actual wedding date, place and location of the reception.  Noreen was 18 and Harvey was 26.  They had a reception at Mountain Vikur Lutheran Church.  The church is kind of interesting.  It is the oldest Icelandic church in the United States.  It was built in 1885 and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

wedding July 7, 1948
Crookston, MN
Here is the church where they had their reception.  I found this photo on Flicker.  It's a very pretty church.  I'll have to find out if some of the family relatives are buried in this cemetery so we can get photos when we make our genealogical road trip next summer.

Vikur Lutheran Church, Mountain, ND
National Historic Registry on Flicker2
I tried to find if there was a dance hall in Milton at this time but couldn't find any information.  I'm guessing it might have been at a church.  Milton was not a large community.

Wish I could find a photo of Harvey in his uniform!

Harvey and Noreen each went their own way in 1967.

It took me awhile to find a record of their marriage certificate online.  My daughter gave me a membership to the Minnesota History Center.  I asked the woman at the desk in the research library for help.  She introduced me to a 'new to me' site called MOMS or Minnesota Official Marriage System.   We found it within 5 minutes!  I actually only found the number for their license and the form so I could send for it.  It only took a couple of days to get it in the mail.
Marriage Certificate3
Noreen Thorfinnson and Harvey Hartje




Doreen Unke and Leonard Schwartz were the witnesses, my husband says they were friends of Noreen and Harvey.  The wedding of Noreen Thorfinnson and Harvey Hartje took place on July 7, 1948 in Crookston, Minnesota.

In the next post, we will skip ahead to the death of Harvey Hartje.  I will have a couple of posts about his brothers and sisters.  After that, we will move to the Thorfinnson side of the family.

Happy Discoveries to you from one Ancestral Explorer to another,
Janet

Sources:

1Family Library, "Grandmother Remembers A Book of special memories for the family to share" 
       filled out by Noreen Thorfinnson @ 1987; Drawing Board Greeting Cards, Inc, under license from 
       Wheeler Group Inc.; Artist Arlene Noel.  

2.  Vikur Lutheran Church, National Register of Historic places photostream; Flickr.com; 
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/nationalregister/11235761756#  

3.  Marriage Certificate for Harvey Hartje and Noreen Thorfinnson, Polk County Minnesota, Polk county Taxpayer Service
          Center, Recorder Division, Crookston, MN. July 7, 1948; filed October 1, 1948 in book A-13, page 29 of Marriage
          Licenses.

No comments:

Post a Comment